Re: Gnus: How to catch up huge newsgroups?

From: Joe Fineman
Subject: Re: Gnus: How to catch up huge newsgroups?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:30:10 -0500

> On Mon, Nov 10 2008, Joe Fineman wrote:

>> None of the four is a binary newsgroup.
>
> [ Please reply to the list! This is from the mail you sent to me: ]

Sorry!  I meant to reply to the newsgroup, and was puzzled when it
didn't show up.  I must have hit R instead of F.

>> There was no response in 20 min.  Indeed, the shell (an Emacs
>> shell) seems to have died.

Subsequently I got the same result with one of the newsgroups I *can*
read.

I tried it in the Cygwin shell.  The shell survived, but I got a
message "502 Permission denied".

> Does it work in cmd.exe?

I don't know what cmd.exe is.  How do I get to it?

>> most-positive-fixnum's value is 134217727
>
> So groups with 100 million postings should work.

Well, the number is (or purports to be) only 30 million.  The current
state of my *Group* buffer is

       0: nnml:mail.misc
      88: alt.politics.libertarian
   30221113: alt.usage.english
       1: gnu.announce
      25: gnu.emacs.bug
       6: gnu.emacs.gnus
       6:*gnu.emacs.help
       2: ne.transportation
   29993938: sci.lang
      16: soc.motss
   29988010: alt.suicide.methods
      30: alt.quotations
   30058577: comp.text.tex

>>> gnu.emacs.gnus isn't moderated.
>>
>> I so interpreted the (m) in the Group buffer.

Which is now gone!  Perhaps I hallucinated it.

I also tried another email (yesterday noon) to Wolfgang M. Weyand at
Motzarella.

Thank you for your patience.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  The first half of our lives is ruined by our parents, and  :||
||:  the second half by our children.                           :||