Re: Tracing what is loading

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Tracing what is loading
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 22:46:20 -0600

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> Fload is the `load' function. If you search the C code, you'll see
> that emacs lisp functions defined in C are called F + name of
> function.
>
> What I wanted to say is that the load function is defined in C (and
> called Fload in the C code), so if you advise it you won't get
> information about the times it is called from other C code (search
> Fload in the src/ directory to see where does that happen). But you
> can modify Fload and add code to show what it is loading.

I see, so the more I think about this the more it looks pretty
daunting.  One thing that should make it easier though is that I don't
really need to track the c code..

What I'm after is to get something into the init process ahead of
everything else.  Something that reports what is loading... (except c
code).  My aim is to get one jump ahead of the OS developers who think
they need to interfere or `direct' emacs for me.  To me it can be
pretty confusing to determine what is happening as emacs starts up.

I'm just trying to see what files get loaded before my own `site-start'
file, So I can either head it off or leave it alone depending on what
it seems to try to do. The `site' in this case is just a single user
machine so no problems dealing with disgruntled users if I do stuff in
site-start.el in order to keep .emacs to some sensible size.

>From Dmitrys' post I got the URL:
  (info "(elisp) Standard Hooks")
And tracked it into this section where I found this:

   (info "(elisp) Init File")

 -- Variable: before-init-hook
     This normal hook is run, once, just before loading all the init
     files (the user's init file, `default.el', and/or `site-start.el').
     (The only way to change it with real effect is before dumping
     Emacs.)

Its not at all clear what it means to say it is `run' once but it
doesn't really sound like it can be taken advantage of.

If so; Would this involve just a text edit?  I'm not at all sure how
to take advantage of a `hook'.  I have a few in my init files but they
are blatantly plagerized here or some other group like the gnus
groups.