Re: emacs for email

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: emacs for email
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 21:46:31 +0100

James Freer <jessejazza@googlemail.com> writes:

> I've been trying to set up emacs for reading mail. I'm a bit lost as
> so far i haven't found whether to set up rc files like you do for mutt
> [.procmailrc, .muttrc, mstmprc, .fetchmailrc] or what? Rmail or Gnus
> is part of emacs i understood although one can replace with VM.
>
> Be grateful for advice or links as i think i've been looking in the
> wrong places - online manual seems v.brief and the emacs.pdf is a bit
> thin.

I use gnus to read my email with emacs.

BUT, I wouldn't recommend it if you're not confident with news stuff
and you haven't a lot of time for investigating how to setup gnus.

I use to using mutt as well, and it's much more easier to setup and to
use than gnus.

The main advantage with gnus is its ability to read news groups.

For reading emails with emacs, there's also Mew but I haven't give it
a try.

--
Francis