Re: Emacs as a C Programming IDE Configuration?

From: hjuvi
Subject: Re: Emacs as a C Programming IDE Configuration?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:01:42 -0000

> Very interesting...
> I dont want to get into the whats-a-true-emacs-user argument

I don't want either... :) Just wanted to warn people that they might
not like some settings that override emacs or user settings.
But people who are not used to emacs might appreciate these settings.

> However I use enough of it that if emacs-ide changes things
> significantly (outside of the ide part which of course is fine) I'd
> have a bit of a wrestling match.
>
> Can you elaborate a bit on this aspect?

I understand and I think I should also elaborate on project homepage.
For the moment, I have mentioned a few things in section "Please note
that Emacs-IDE...".

The history is : I started writing my own .emacs file, with my own
settings, my own colors, and, little by little, I have added keys
shortcuts (for tags, cscope...), and menu facilities to browse the
code. Some other people started to use it, and it turned into a GPL
project. But some of my own settings are still present.

Little by little (since version 1.5), I try to remove personnal
settings, or make them "optional".

What is changed, compared to Emacs ?
- I have redefined F1-F12 keys, for tags, cscope, grep, compilation...
I know these keys should be reserved for user, so I'll try to make
these key bindings optional in future versions, but I believe that it
is much more easy to browse code through tags with F1 and F2 than with
M-* and M-.
- I change all colors for syntax highlighting : it has become optional
since version 1.5 (but the default value of this option is "yes", I
might change that in the future...)
- I have redefined right click : it is an easy way to make menu window
on the right side, and output window below (see screenshot) disappear,
to read the source code "full frame", and get them back afterwards. It
also make some popup menu appears depending on where you click : in
output window, it gives the list of all past searches (grep or
cscope), that you can display again, and in menu window, it gives a
general menu, or - if you click on a filename - it gives a popup menu
with commands related to the file (close, indent, svn diff...). I
don't know, at this moment, how to make it optionnal. There is no
alternative for these right clicks - which depends on mouse
position...
- I have disabled tool bar and menu bar, because I believe that my own
menu should be enough, but this will be optional in the next version.

Another particularity of the package is that it needs to be enabled at
startup, in .emacs, because it loads .emacs.desktop in the directory
where emacs is launched, which must be the root directory of the
project.

So the main idea, now, is to make Emacs-IDE as compliant as possible
with Emacs requirements, without removing settings that I - and other
people - appreciate, but making them optional instead.

I have not received much feedback, but when I have, it was always
positive - sometime with suggestions that I have taken into account
for next versions.
So I believe that people appreciate some of these non-conventional
settings :)
Any suggestion is welcomed. Thanks for your interest.