Re: Emacs as a C Programming IDE Configuration?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs as a C Programming IDE Configuration?
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 15:47:13 -0300

> I tried eshell once, never quite got what the advantages were.

It works about as well under any OS and is tightly integrated with
Emacs.  It also has significant disadvantages, admittedly.

> Adventure shell: never heard of it -- from a bit of
> googling it seems that you do shell commands as part
> of playing a GAME?  When I'm trying to get something *done*?

Thing of it as something along the lines of M-x doctor: once you've
tried it, you'll wonder how anyone ever managed to get any work done
without it.

> So what's wrong with tcsh, with tons of aliases?

Brain-dead quoting rules, and inconvenient syntax for scripts.
So I switched to zsh which offered pretty much all the features I was
using of tcsh.  I guess nowadays even bash offers all those features.

        Stefan