Re: viper-mode C-[ behavior change in Emacs 24.4

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: viper-mode C-[ behavior change in Emacs 24.4
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 22:58:36 +0200

> Debian's "stable" does not mean that the packages's
> versions are considered specially "stable". It means
> the distro's packaging is "stable", i.e. Debian
> considers that it's done a good job of packaging
> those programs: they are built correctly, they have
> good dependency info which makes sure
> upgrading/downgrading does the right thing, the
> default configs are usable, the docs and various
> other files are placed where Debian expects them to
> be, ...

Well, they have formal requirements for what makes up
one or the other release, but there are such for the
software as well because there is some kind of arc
where the software travels from one release to another,
software that behaves can be "frozen" (so not
additional changes will introduce bugs or break
dependencies, I take it), and so on - so I think it in
many ways refer to the software as well (though Debian
of course don't guarantee any software be bug-free,
software the Debian people didn't even write) - for
example, they say that the cutting-edge release be not
used "in production" (I take it with servers and such)
because it isn't safe. Also, if you compare the version
number of the software included in the different
releases, you find that, for example, as for 2012, the
poppler versions were:

    * Debian Stable: 0.12.4 (2 years old)
    * Debian Testing/Unstable: 0.16.7 (10 months old)
    * Current Release: 0.18.4 (2 months old)
    * Bleeding Edge: 0.19.3 (6 days old)

--
underground experts united