Re: manual activism

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: manual activism
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 19:25:58 -0500

> Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> Computer kid goes to the public library?
>>
>> You're kidding right?
>
> You have expedition fever with me several posts now.
> Let it go away and then we'll talk.
>
> I am not kidding, and you know that.
>
> In the public library in my city there are several
> hundred books on computers and some are read to
> shreds. By kids, and by students, and by gentlemen
> with gray hair and glasses. Most of those books deal
> with proprietary software but there are many, many
> books on Linux, LAMP, Android (if you consider that a
> good/free thing), UNIX C, everything you can think of.
>
> In the scientific library on my CS school you can
> imagine the situation. The people who go there are not
> kids but some are 18, 19. It is very common that
> though they did computers all their lives, they were
> very sparsely exposed to free computing, be it BSD,
> Linux, GNU, Usenet, you name it.
>
> If we can get our books - in new, mint condition,
> brand new editions - onto those shelves virtually
> cost-free that would be *great*.
>
> Do you not agree?

I haven't been to a library in a long time.
I'll have to take your word for what goes on there.

All I know is that I can find all I want to know
on just about any subject in a few seconds with
a search engine.

Sometimes those searches lead to sites selling books.
I've never felt I needed a book.
The online resources are current and complete for my needs.

--
Dan Espen