Re: split window

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: split window
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 02:27:16 +0100

Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com> writes:

> For Windows, I see the two-window behaviour for Versions 23 and 24, and
> the one-window (for the file to edit) in Version 22.  The one-window
> behaviour is what I see almost daily for Version 20.2 on Solaris.  This
> difference looks like new behaviour to me.

I remember this default changing years ago.  The Emacs maintainers
wanted to draw the attention of new users by always presenting the
splash-screen.

What's wrong with inhibiting it with (setq inhibit-startup-screen t)?

Also, regarding Ubuntu 12.04, I'm using XUbuntu 12.04 on one computer.
I agree with Glenn Morris that Ubuntu only do "long-term support" for
the core which is installed by default.  I use a PPA providing Emacs
24.3 it's from Damien Cassou.  He doesn't support it anymore, but it
works fine.

https://launchpad.net/~cassou/+archive/ubuntu/emacs

BR,
Robert Thorpe