Re: using use-package

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: using use-package
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 21:49:24 +0100

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I haven't looked at it.  Does it drop the "work around mis-configured
>>> packages" baggage?
>>
>> req-package is basically use-package + dependency management + el-get.
>> Do you see apt-get just off the horizon?
>
> When you say "dependency management" what do you mean?  I think you're
> talking at cross-purposes with the other, and you mean something else.

AFAICT, req-package solves problems of dependencies between your
configuration of packages, rather than between packages. For example,
you want to use company mode to provide completions for cider-mode.
Conclusion: you want to configure company-mode before you configure
cider mode. req-package allows you to declare this relationship and let
it figure out the order.

I never tried it, as it seems to solve an occasional problem. So, you
are right: "dependency management" is different from the other kind of
package dependency.

Phil