RE: Path of tool-bar icons

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Path of tool-bar icons
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:23:45 -0700 (PDT)

> > <user looks for "icon" instead of what Emacs
> > expects: "image">
> > [...]
> > 1. `C-h r'
> >
> > `i glossary'
> > (or `g glossary', if you know there is a node
> > named Glossary)
>
> So ?

1. My point was that if someone really thinks that some
Emacs users will think only "icon" and never "image"
in this context, and it is a sufficiently important
problem, they can ask that the two terms be added to
the glossary and linked there.  Emacs jargon uses
"yank", but newbies can find it under "paste" in the
glossary.

(Personally, I can't imagine not thinking of looking
for "image" if I didn't find what I was looking for
under "icon".  But users look for things differently,
and users have different vocabularies and mental
models.)

Even without bringing the glossary into it (and this
is a case where the glossary is not really relevant,
I think - "image" is not really Emacs jargon), you
could request an _index_ entry for "icon" that links
to where `image-load-path' is discussed.

2. But that variable is covered only in the Elisp
manual, not the Emacs manual.  There is an index entry
for it, but index entries that contain substring "icon"
don't lead there.  So if someone thought this was a real
discovery problem s?he could request an index entry in
the Elisp manual for "icon file locations" or some such,
which would take you to the same node (`Defining Images').

3. But it is true that if something is not in one
of the manuals then there is no equivalent of indexing
or a glossary.  (But you can google or search Emacs Wiki.)

You can search doc strings or use apropos commands,
including `apropos-documentation', but that just
searches doc strings literally.  It doesn't take advantage
of someone having created an explicit link (xref) between
"icon" and "image".