Re: Using R-mail in Emacs

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Using R-mail in Emacs
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 14:11:23 +0200

Loris Bennett wrote:

> Does an email from my wife about school need
> to be filed in "family" or "school"?
> Similar but more subtle situations occur with
> my work mail.

The directory approach doesn't have to deal
with such tricky sorting. The more common
approach, I'm sure, is to have mail.misc,
mail.sent, drafts, gmane.emacs.help,
gmane.emacs.gnus.general, rec.bicycles.tech,
and so on, to name but a few example from my
own system.

To split the mails into directories based on
who they are from can be done easily with Gnus,
if one would really want to. But to split them
based on content cannot ever be done to work
flawlessly and I'd disencourage anyone to try
as it would be a one-way ticket to the mental
institution.

To even split it based on the subject line (the
occurence of the word "school", for example)
would fail for "old-school science fiction" or
whatever.

Over-engineering that wouldn't work and even if
it did would have a dubious benefit.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573