Re: Gnus and local mirroring

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Gnus and local mirroring
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 22:12:20 -0400

>>> Wouldn't this require writing an IMAP server in Elisp?
>> I don't see why.  It might require writing the moral equivalent of
>> offline-imap, but not an IMAP server, no.
> Yup, I hadn't thought that through completely. But still, re-writing
> offline-imap/isync in Elisp is going to be a huge amount of work, and
> wouldn't really be usable until we have a solid implementation of
> threads/async elisp. And I don't quite see the benefit. My.mbsyncrc file
> is 61 lines, and I would expect an equivalent amount of config to make
> Gnus do the same thing...

It doesn't really have to be reimplemented, tho.  All it could take is
a bit of automatic config to run offline-imap/mbsync/... since the main
issue is that it should be sufficiently transparent/automatic that it
doesn't require any special config from the other (other than installing
those tools via `apt`, say).

        Stefan