Re: Fixing news-mail gateway [Was: Re: Newsgroups mailing-list gateway b

From: Nuno Silva
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 09:47:01 +0100

On 2018-10-18, Garreau, Alexandre wrote:

> On 2018-10-18 at 12:44, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> This is a deja vu as we have discussed this before.  This link jumps
>> right into some detail from that previous discussion.
>>
>>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2016-06/msg00147.html
>>
>> Of course the web email address redactor with all of the address
>> hidden redactions make reading that on the web quite difficult.  One
>> could ftp down the mailbox and then have the full mailbox of messages.
>>
>> AFAICT messages through the Stanford newsgroup to email relay do not
>> include the In-Reply-To header and therefore break threading.  A
>> message may have the References header with information about previous
>> messages in the thread causing the message to thread before where it
>> should thread, and if only one deep them be completely disconnected
>> from the original thread.
>>
>> In the intervening two years since the previous discussion nothing
>> substantial has happened.
>
> So I was right, it is the news-mail interface, and it is in standford,
> so now the question is: who to contact? is that GNU people?
>
> Maybe to <action@cs.stanford.edu> as “X-Complaints-To” header suggests?
> or <root@usenet.stanford.edu>?

I might be wrong, but it looks like the In-reply-to header *is* sent,
but the message-ids are being rewritten somewhere, so one message can
end up with two different message-ids, and threading by In-reply-to will
not work as expected. The "Message not available" entries in the web
archive are probably those message-ids.

Alexandre, did you send the post I am replying to through USENET as
well? It has the following In-Reply-To:

        "Thu, 18 Oct 2018 12:44:57 -0600")

--
Nuno Silva