Re: Where is Emacs Lisp taught ?

From: Garreau, Alexandre
Subject: Re: Where is Emacs Lisp taught ?
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 03:47:52 +0100

On 2018-10-28 at 10:16, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> On Oct 28, 2018, at 9:27, Garreau, Alexandre <galex-713@galex-713.eu> wrote:
>>
>> On 2018-10-27 at 09:54, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>>> Gene,
>>>
>>> Thank you for this remark. I totally agree with you. elisp should be
>>> considered a domain specific language and not be compared to general
>>> purpose languages in general.
>>
>> emacs lisp *can* and *is* used as a general purpose language.
>
> If you consider Emacs as a virtual lisp machine, yes. If you consider
> Emacs as a text editor, much less so.
>
> Teaching elisp as strictly a lisp dialect, removes it from its utility
> as being Emacs extension language.

I don’t consider emacs as a text editor but rather a shell, a UI, a
environment, system.  And emacs-lisp is the main (currently only)
language to program using this amazing UI, system, environment, shell,
etc..

Just as if you take lisp machine lisp, and remove the lisp machine, the
kernel, all I/O, etc. you removes its utility as lisp machine extension
language.