Re: Where is Emacs Lisp taught ?

From: Garreau, Alexandre
Subject: Re: Where is Emacs Lisp taught ?
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 02:27:53 +0200

On 2018-10-27 at 09:54, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> Gene,
>
> Thank you for this remark. I totally agree with you. elisp should be
> considered a domain specific language and not be compared to general
> purpose languages in general.

emacs lisp *can* and *is* used as a general purpose language.

> Hence the difficulty to find places that teach elisp, since such
> places would rather teach general computing, than domain specific
> computing.

I’m unsure.  In my college they teach 2 or 3 languages a semester, so to
give a wider look at what exists, I heard.  Many of them must be quite
specific.  And indeed, for instance, they teach C all the years along,
but only some OCaml at the beginning, as OCaml is to be considered more
specific by most people (except its advocates, but then that may work as
well for elisp and most languages).