Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 15:57:03 +0900

Marcin,

> On May 29, 2020, at 14:55, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> does anyone here perform translations within Emacs?

Yes, sometimes.

>  Do you know of any
> tools facilitating that?  There exist a few CATs, or Computer Aided
> Translation systems, but - AFAIK - they are all proprietary and closed
> source.

No. OmegaT is very much GPL and is listed in the Free Software directory. Java
based and has recently shifted from using Oracle to AdoptOpenJDK 11.

>  Emacs seems capable of implementing at least a simple CAT, but
> I could not find any existing solutions for that.  (I skimmed through
> the answers here:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/a35bs2/emacs_for_translations/,
> but did not find anything useful.)

As Jean-Philippe mentions po-mode exists, even if limited in scope.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com