Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 18:28:03 +0900

> On May 29, 2020, at 17:43, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
> editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>
>>> I always thought translation was just a matter of
>>> reading one thing and then typing what it means,
>>> looking up the occasional word or phrase for the
>>> idiomatic equivalent.
>>
>> It is. But *computer aided translation* tools make
>> that easier by putting all the translation
>> ressources (glossaries, legacy translations,
>> dictionaries, searches, autocompletion) into one
>> translation "IDE" that helps the translator not
>> lose time on repetitive tasks.
>
> ... which are?

Typing text :)

If there is ONE repetitive task in translation, it is typing text.

So anything that is already registered and which can be semi-automatically
entered is a godsend.

For ex. You translate a sentence in which half is already registered as a
legacy translation. The translation memory engine finds the match in the
background (no need for you to search it) and presents its corresponding
translation (that's called "fuzzy matching"). You hit a shortcut and boom, you
have half the sentence translated. Now, the other half contains glossary terms
that are in a TSV file (or equivalent), here again the search has happened in
the background and you are presented with a choice of terms that you can enter
with a keybinding. You just need to type the semantic "glue" between the terms.

Et voilĂ . The "IDE" did all the searches in the background when you started
working on a given segment and autocompletion or keybindings give you easy
access to what you need to enter.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com