Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Takesi Ayanokoji
Subject: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 23:28:20 +0900

Hi,Marcin

> does anyone here perform translations within Emacs?

I am translating Emacs' info manuals using Emacs' po-mode and Po4a program.

--- "Why Po4a?" starts here.

I use PO format as translation memory because it is major format for *nix
i18n nowadays.

PO format is used gettext's tool-chain programs, but some tools in gettext
is limited for translating messages in various program sources.

These tools process source files includes messages convert/reflect to/from
translation memories.

For this reason, I use Po4a tools for generating po files from files
written in various  formats, and vise versa.

--- "Why Po4a?" ends here.

> The first thing I would need is a way to highlight the "currently
> translated sentence" in the other window, where I would keep the
> original text, with an easy way to highlight the next/previous

In the po-mode, strings are highlighted "currently processing msgid".

Msgid is strings before translating.
These strings' range (sentence, paragraph, page, ...) is defined by Po4a
when extracting from original document files, and Po4a semms define msgid
as a paragraph.

For example, belows are 'Anti news' in Emacs manual before and after
translating.

before:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ayatakesi/emacs-24.5-doc-emacs/d826fbbb960688a04f46cec4e8e0131d2c39e218/anti.texi.po

after:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ayatakesi/emacs-24.5-doc-emacs/b0506307007fc3d36e8168c2f84bd125e97484fe/anti.texi.po

And in po4a, there are many commands operates on a msgid/msgstr.

Best,