Re: make a drawing with Emacs

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: make a drawing with Emacs
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 09:34:25 +0200

On Wed 02 Sep 2020 at 18:28, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> That's pretty much what the svg.el package mentioned earlier in the
> thread does.  Instead of `svg-image`, use `svg-print`.

Thanks for the info.

I see two problems with the svg.el package.

1) It is not clear upfront, when it does not work, as demonstrated with
   svg-image vs svg-print.

   This is general problem with foreign dependencies.

2) Elisp does not have keyword arguments.  However, svg.el works around
   that with rest arg plist.  This brings the worst of both worlds:
   complexity and useless tools.

   For example, I use eldoc.  Eldoc hint for svg-circle is useless:

      svg-circle: (SVG X Y RADIUS &rest ARGS)

   I have to dig into the source code to find out what ARGS is.  Every
   time I use svg-circle.

Writing own alternative to svg.el offers a chance to fix those problems.