Re: Sharp--quote [was: url-retrieve fails on most HTTPS sites]

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Sharp--quote [was: url-retrieve fails on most HTTPS sites]
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 18:01:29 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> AFAIK there is no optimization that applies
> specifically to #'foo :-(
>
> There's really not much opportunity for
> optimization there, since all it says is "use the
> function found in the `symbol-function` slot *at
> the time we actually call it*". But whatever we
> know about the content of `symbol-value` during
> compilation may not hold anymore by the time the
> code is executed.
>
> So the differences w.r.t 'foo are limited to: -
> Tell the *human reader* that the intention here is
> to refer to a function of that name. - Get
> a warning from the compiler if the function doesn't
> seem to exist.

See?

People always think what goes on under the hood is
more advanced and clever than what it is.

Well, I like simplicity anyway :)

Thanks for the summary!

> - Plus the special case of `cl-flet` and
> `cl-labels` where the #' is needed to refer to the
> locally-defined function.

`cl-flet' and `cl-labels' do their own parsing and
look for #' specifically and have it take on
a new meaning?

Reuse of notation with a new meaning within the same
language seems ... not the programmer's way, to be
honest. If #' is an ... yeah, what is it? ... if #'
is [something] that is equivalent to `function',
perhaps one could think of a whole new function, be
it "cl-local" or something.

Or you tend to use so many that it would clutter the
code? Whatever the reason, I'm sure you got it right,
it would just be interesting to hear more from the
supposedly simple underthehoodland :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573