Re: Visual font looping setup

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Visual font looping setup
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 09:19:00 +0200

> Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 00:03:18 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > Failing that, the font selection dialog popped by S-mouse-1 or
> > Options->Set Default Font from the menu bar usually shows a small
> > sample of each font as you scroll through their list.
>
> You say that it shows small sample of each font. On my side for years
> it shows just 3 major options Misc, few fonts commonly used on X
> before 20 years, then there is Courier option for various sizes, bold
> and slant and mix, and there is fontset. More than that never appears
> there.
>
> S-mouse-1 opens up same dialog.

I guess the toolkit which you used to build Emacs doesn't have a
well-designed font selection dialog.

Do these commands invoke mouse-select-font or x-select-font on your
system?

> Do you mean that there are more fonts on your side displayed under
> those options?

Yes.  If your Emacs was built with GTK, x-select-font should start a
GTK font selection dialog showing many fonts.

Of course, you can always write a simple command that loops over all
the fonts in the list created by this:

    (x-list-fonts "-*-*-medium-r-normal-*-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1"
                  'default (selected-frame))

and display some sample text using each font.  Or just looks at the
list returned by the above, and try some of the fonts manually (with
set-frame-font or somesuch).