Re: How to tame compiler?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How to tame compiler?
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 19:19:48 +0300

* Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> [2021-05-01 16:39]:
> >   I have to understand it in this example:
> >
> >   The HTML template is following and it is string:

> >     <head>
> >       <title>⟦ xml-escape title ⟧</title>
> >     </head>
>
> I think the way I'd attack this is similar to what was suggested
> recently.  I think I'd introduce a macro (call it `xml-template`) which
> you'd use maybe as follows:
>
>     (xml-template
>      (html
>       (head (title ,title))
>       (body (p "Today is one US dollar this many euros: " ,@(usd-eur 1)))))
>
> where `,` is used to insert a random chunk of plain text,
> whereas `,@` is used to insert a chunk of XML.

Approach is known to me from, is it Scribilo?
https://www.nongnu.org/skribilo/ and Skribe
https://www.nongnu.org/skribilo/#self

I use similar approach for CGI document generation.

My system does allow such inclusion as I can introduce any type of
document.

But let me think:

- HTML template would need to be converted into sex-pressions; (don't
  stone me); it would increase the startup time of preparing the
  template, there are just 127 templates in the database;

- then Markdown documents, what I do with it? Maybe all of 4057 should
  be converted into sex-pressions... with very careful attention to
  detail;

- then Markdown is not any more Markdown, it would still need to be
  expanded by Emacs Lisp;

- then everything expanded embedded into HTML as Emacs Lisp;

Problems with the process:

- it is not readable any more;

- becomes tiresome, much more work is involved to write simple text;
  HTML template preparation alone involves programming skills; not
  easily scalable;

- it becomes very much error prone, one mistake and all page will not
  interpolate;

- author, who only slighly was thinking about the markup, has now to
  writing text, author has to mark it up with (p "something") or
  similar; author is not any more in the "lightweight" markup as
  described here:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_markup_language

That approach would be definitely usable for:

- specific pages where large need arise for interpolation;

- with complex code where a lot of interpolation is taking place

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/