Quote by Knuth

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Quote by Knuth
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 04:58:29 +0200

Literate programming is an enhanced macro substitution package tuned to the task
of rearranging source code. This may seem like a trivial change, but in fact is
quite different from other ways of structuring software systems.

Literacy in programming means different things in different circumstances.
Many jobs are about getting a job done, rather than showing literacy, except
in academia, mostly written by young inexperienced idiots on low pay or no pay
at all.

A mathematician in industry can do as much literate programming as one wants
but is not considered valuable work.  When a company takes over another, they
mostly trash the other system and use their own way.  That's what happened to
me a number of times.