Re: Quote by Knuth

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Quote by Knuth
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 00:14:18 +0200

Christopher Dimech wrote:

> Literate programming is an enhanced macro substitution
> package tuned to the task of rearranging source code.

We know what a macro is but what is literate programming
except it relies on macros? Does it rely to macros MORE than
everyday programming, including programming that uses macros,
or are the macros CLOSER to natural languages, maybe?

If it has a name (literate programming) there should be
a snappy definition, otherwise I'll stick to illiterate
programming, thank you...

> but in fact is quite different from other ways of
> structuring software systems.

Uhm, okay, what ways are those?

> Literacy in programming means different things in different
> circumstances. Many jobs are about getting a job done,
> rather than showing literacy, except in academia, mostly
> written by young inexperienced idiots on low pay or no pay
> at all.

What are you talking about?

?

--