Re: Fwd: How do I go about debugging my Elisp code?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Fwd: How do I go about debugging my Elisp code?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 17:23:41 +0100

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

Hi Jean,

I think we both agree that the missing license is the main issue, not
the Copyright notice.

>> However, that file is basically a demo for debugging by adding a
>> printed message after each line with no intention of becoming part of
>> emacs, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
>
> That is incorrect. Software modifies Emacs, thus has to be compatible
> to same free software license under which Emacs is issues.
>
> The same is valid for all other software that is modifying Emacs.
>
> In other words, when somebody creates a function for Emacs it is
> software modifying Emacs and shall be under compatible software
> license. Like GNU GPL v3+

I don't think that an emacs package is a modification of emacs itself or
a derivative work.  Rather the package links to emacs, i.e., emacs is a
kind of "standard library" for all emacs packages.  But even then, it
needs to have a license compatible with emacs' license, yes.

But I'm not sure if merely posting some basically private code somewhere
on a private homepage or on some pastebin requires you to add a license
notice.  I mean, hundreds share their .emacs file on the web without
thinking about licensing.

Bye,
Tassilo