Re: Fwd: How do I go about debugging my Elisp code?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Fwd: How do I go about debugging my Elisp code?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 19:58:51 +0100

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

>> So if I want to give some help-searching user the hint to reproduce
>> an error with debug-on-error set to t, I should write my reply as
>> given in the below?
>
> I would assume that your minimal contributions to Emacs are under the
> same license as Emacs and simply include it how it is in my code if I
> wish, but then I would say it was authored by yourself.  Then in case
> of complaint from your side I could adapt it how you and me think it
> is alright.
>
> It is good to be practical.

I guess with elisp, it will never ever happen that the author of some
code in some posting will complain.  But noting down the author along
the code is a very good idea because of copyright, i.e., when you later
want to contribute your package to emacs or publish it on GNU ELPA.

>> IMHO, modification is usually meant as copying and adapting code.
>> Setting a variable is more or less configuration.  An interesting
>> aspect are advices which allow modifying existing functions without
>> physically touching their source code.
>
> Your code can be nothing else but setting variables.  If your program
> cannot run without main part named Emacs, than such modification
> represent new work, and is thus modification of Emacs and has to carry
> the license.

I guess there must be some degree of non-trivialness before licensing
becomes important, no?

Bye,
Tassilo