Re: Fwd: How do I go about debugging my Elisp code?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Fwd: How do I go about debugging my Elisp code?
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 14:33:18 +0300

* Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> [2022-01-15 13:23]:
> You said one-way compatible above, i.e., it is ok for me to use CC BY-SA
> 4.0 code snippets from SO in my GPL3+ package but according to your
> argument, when I post some elisp code on emacs.stackexchange.com, that
> code is automatically GPL+ (because you say every elisp code is a
> modification of emacs itself), yet they redistribute it as CC BY-SA 4.0
> which would be an infringement.  Or is that not what one-way compatible
> means?

How I understand it CC BY-SA 4.0 is compatible to GNU GPL 3+, thus it
is compatible to Emacs' own license.

When you write Emacs Lisp code, you should license it so that license
is compatible to Emacs' license.

I don't think that every Emacs Lisp code is modification of Emacs
itself. At the time when code becomes modification of Emacs in that
case the license of such code shall be compatible to Emacs license.

When is Emacs Lisp code not a modification of Emacs? In those cases
where Emacs Lisp is executed as a program on command line or in batch,
in those cases it may be not. When Guile is executing Emacs Lisp with
--language=elisp flag, then such code is not modifying Emacs.

When Emacs is run interactively and Emacs Lisp is loaded into running
Emacs editor, such code is modifying Emacs and thus shall be licensed
so that its license is compatible to Emacs license like GNU GPL 3+.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/