How to *properly* set up Emacs on Windows?

From: Joost
Subject: How to *properly* set up Emacs on Windows?
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 18:06:36 +0100

Hi list,

I've recently had to set up Emacs on Windows, having used it for over two
decades on Linux exclusively. Unfortunately, I'm constantly running into small
issues that give me the impression there's something wrong with my setup, but
unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out what exactly.

So, the tl;dr of it is this: What would I need to do to get Emacs running on
Windows in such a way that easily access utilities such as git, diff and
hopefully a few more (ag or rg would be nice, gcc and libgccjit for when I
decide to move to Emacs 28) from within Emacs, and also have a graphical Emacs?

The thing that prompted me to post this message is that I ran into the issue
described here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2021-05/msg01296.html

In short, the variable `package-gnupghome-dir` is set to
"c:/Users/joost.kremers/.emacs.d/elpa/gnupg", but when I try to install /
update packages, I get an error saying:

keyblock resource
'/c/Users/joost.kremers/.emacs.d/elpa/c:/Users/joost.kremers/.emacs.d/elpa/gnupg/pubring.kbx':
 No such file or directory

Note the path.

I can set `package-gnupghome-dir` to
"/c/Users/joost.kremers/.emacs.d/elpa/gnupg" and that will fix this issue, but
it doesn't feel like it's the right solution.

Eli Zaretski's comment in the message I linked to most likely applies to my
case: "Looks like you are mixing MSYS2 executables and native Windows (a.k.a.
"MinGW") executables [...]".

To be honest, though, I'm not entirely sure how I got myself into that
situation. I don't even have a good understanding of MSYS2 and MinGW and the
differences between them.

I *think* it happened when I tried to use some external utilities from within
Emacs, mainly git and diff, for which I modified my PATH variable.

So, does anyone have any advice on how to get out of this situation and get a
better Emacs setup on Windows? Any and all hints very much appreciated!

TIA

Joost

--
Joost Kremers