Re: [External] : Running emacs without any customisation

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: [External] : Running emacs without any customisation
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 21:06:14 +0200

uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> writes:

> The problem is that one uses a fresh emacs session, emacs should not have
> these x resources set up, because emacs will actually make use of them.
> Whilst emacs makes use of them, I do not see that emacs can also refresh
> them (remove them perhaps) to got the user vanilla emacs.

It's technically not treated differently than other sources of
configuration - or is it?  Is there a difference compared to your init
file, your site file(s), your custom file, your abbrev save file, etc?

I mean, you, the user, explicitly told Emacs to use these settings.  You
can suppress them being used using options, and you can remove them in
the same way you added them.  If you don't like that being a source of
customization, just don't use it, there is redundancy (which is not
wrong).

What I also wanted to add: note that Drew doesn't even use X, so it's no
surprise it's not on his radar.  My situation is not that different.
Many other users might use Xresources.  They might not have an init file
OTOH.  Nothing special here IMO.

Michael.