Re: package for Email

From: Andreas Eder
Subject: Re: package for Email
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 17:28:43 +0100

On Mi 18 Jan 2023 at 13:56, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I am using thunderbird for emails.
> My question:
>
> 1. Which Email package do you use?
mu4e

> 2. Does it make sense for me as an emacs-newbie to change from using
> thunderbird to an emacs email package?
certainly

> 3. There are
> Rmail, GNU, Wanderlust, Mu4e etc...
It is gnus not GNU.
And there is also notmuch and VM and probably some others.

> 4. I prefer to habe folders because I like to have an overview.
> Mu4e doesn't have folders.
You can have folders with mu4e, I do!

> 5. I want IMAP.
> Do all of them provide IMAP? (does Rmail now provide IMAP)?
Look at mbsync or offline-imap.

> 6. Wanderlust seems to be more difficult to set up, and I still have
> trouble because I am an Emacs-newbie.
I have no experience with wanderlust.

> 7. Which one is easier to use?
That depends on who you ask.

> 8. Should I start with Rmail? and later switch to GNU?
I'd advise zou to start with mu4e. Have a look at the emacs wiki and
other instructions.

> 9. Or is it useful to start with GNU because it has more options and I
> have to learn it anyhow? and I can use it with org-mode?
gnus has a totally different way of handling mail. Use it only if you
are also using for reading usenet news.

> 10. Do all of them have the same or similar keybindings or do I have to
> learn for each one separate keybindings?
They have different keybindings by default, but you can change the bindings.

> 11. What are the benefits compared to thunderbird?
You are inside emacs!

'Andreas