Re: package for Email

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: package for Email
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 07:02:43 +0300

* Milan Glacier <news@milanglacier.com> [2023-01-18 21:06]:
> It depends on your usage. If you use emails primarily just for reading
> HTML emails from advertisement. Then no. But other than that, yes.

HTML e-mails may be tricks, wanting to track user. With mutt it is
single or double key to see HTML e-mails, as the file ~/.mailcap may
decide how to open it, like in the browser. I don't know if Mutt can
see embedded pictures, usually it does not matter much as all pictures
as attachment can be seen anyway. One way I found here:

https://shallowsky.com/blog/tech/email/mutt-viewing-html-mail.html

But I prefer seeing text first.

> Notmuch, neomutt, and mu4e are all easy to use. LMO. But again YMMV. My
> personal configuration steps include:
>
> - configure mbsync to fetch/push emails changes.
> - configure msmtp to send emails.
> - configure mu4e/neomutt/notmuch to read the local maildirs.

Too often I invoke msmtp manually from Emacs:

(defun msmtp-count-remaining ()
  "Count and send any remaining MSMTP messages in the queue"
  (interactive)
  (let ((default-directory (rcd-my-home))
        (msmtp-runqueue (executable-find "msmtp-runqueue.sh")))
    (rcd-general-log "Function `msmtp-count-remaining' invoked" nil 1 nil nil
nil 6)
    (let ((count (length (directory-files "~/.msmtpqueue" nil "\\.mail"))))
      (if (> count 0)
          (progn
            (start-process msmtp-runqueue "RCD MSMTP" msmtp-runqueue)
            (rcd-message "MSMTP: There is %s e-mails in queue." count))
        (rcd-message "MSMTP: No emails.")))))

or like this:

(defun msmtp-run-queue ()
  (async-shell-command "msmtp-runqueue.sh"))

or simply running it with Emacs timer:

(defun msmtp-with-timer ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((timer (run-with-timer 1 3600 'msmtp-run-queue)))
    (message "MSMTP: running queue with timer: %s" timer)))

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman