Re: text formating

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: text formating
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 23:12:29 +0300

Text-Width: 70

* Eli Zaretskii <<eliz@gnu.org> [2023-02-02 17:31]:
> > Date: Thu,  2 Feb 2023 13:52:22 +0000
> > From: Gottfried <<gottfried@posteo.de>
> >
> > I don't understand why until now nobody made in Emacs a
> > WYSIWYG Mode.
>
> They did: it's called Enriched mode.

By reference from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYG

In computing, WYSIWYG (/ˈwɪziwɪɡ/ WIZ-ee-wig), an acronym for What You
See Is What You Get,[1] is a system in which editing software allows
content to be edited in a form that resembles its appearance when
printed or displayed as a finished product,[2] such as a printed
document, web page, or slide presentation. WYSIWYG implies a user
interface that allows the user to view something very similar to the
end result while the document is being created.[3] In general, WYSIWYG
implies the ability to directly manipulate the layout of a document
without having to type or remember names of layout commands.

Enriched mode is far from there.

At least user should be able to get same printed representation even
if font sizes are not changed.

So far Emacs cannot print Unicode and smilies that I know.

WYSIWYW, what you see is what you want, used to describe GNU TeXmacs
editing platform.[22] The abbreviation clarifies that unlike in
WYSIWYG editors, the user is able to customize WYSIWYW platforms to
act (possibly in part) as manual typesetting programs such as TeX or
troff.

Maybe that one fits better to Enriched mode, but I do not know good
printing representation for it.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns