Re- text formating

From: Gottfried
Subject: Re- text formating
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 17:22:01 +0000

Hi,

Most people are from the opposite side of the spectrum, i.e.
text editor, not word processor.

but in practise it's an
uphill battle

I, as an Emacs layman, would suggest:

If somebody see’s it as a task, can work on it,
or can at least add thoughts,
and together the fight of an uphill battle
will be easier.

You, who are masters in Emacs
and know everything/almost everything,

can create a major mode

e.g. to take the "enriched mode"
give it an other name
and add features, one after the other
take away features which don't fit

and create a WYSIWYG mode/word processor.

More than 10000 people worked hard over the last 40 years
to create a "text editor".

Would it not be the time to create also a
"word-processor-mode" in Emacs, which doesn’t need to be like other word processors with all kinds of possibilities,
but simply to have the basics of a word processor in Emacs,

so you have all the advantages of Emacs
and additionally for some people a mode,
which has certain possibilities of text manipulation.

If somebody has time and interest,
he can always add features,
but we need the basics for a "word-processor-mode" /WYSWYG style in Emacs.

TeXmacs and Mogan are interesting, I installed them today, but I didn’t have time yet to deal with them. In Mogan (more than in TeXmacs) you can use certain Emacs keybindings. C-keys, M-keys didn’t work in my first attempt to try them.

But we need such features in Emacs, because Emacs is very well developed. And there are certain people who would enjoy it to have also such a "word-processor-mode" in which you can do more than in enriched-mode.

That, as I said, are the thoughts of an Emacs layman, because I just started two month ago to get to know Emac, but am confronted with too little word-processing possibilities.

Gottfried

Message: 4