Re: Re- text formating

From: Daniel Fleischer
Subject: Re: Re- text formating
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2023 16:23:33 +0200

Gottfried [2023-02-07 Tue 10:57] wrote:

> That’s why I was asking to simplify Emacs in order to get a WYSIWYG mode,
> word-mode,
>
> I don’t need to create professional documents.
>
> I don’t know Latex, Org-mode, an so on.

It's an interesting question. In order to think about it you need to
expand the context. Say there's a mode that combines text with
formatting. How are you going to save this on file? Which format?
text/enrich is ancient and looks like html so it's not easy to read
outside Emacs. Rich text format (RTF) is proprietary. You start moving
towards light markup languages such as asciidoc, org, markdown which
strike a good tradeoff between human readability, expressive enough to
describe various formattings easily, they're open source and there are
many tools that can present them nicely. If you insist on not learning
any markup language and interested in WYSIWYG experience maybe you
should give Texmacs a try:

https://texmacs.org/tmweb/home/welcome.en.html

There's some WYSIWYG aspects in Emacs, for example in Auctex. But
probably there wasn't much demand for that in the past.

--
Daniel Fleischer