Re: text formating

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: text formating
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 18:24:19 +0300

* Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> [2023-02-04 17:53]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> >> If you are talking specifically about WYSIWYG printing,
> >> then yes, we still aren't where we should be, especially
> >> with non-ASCII text; patches welcome. But the OP didn't
> >> mention that, so this is not necessarily what was
> >> the issue.
> >
> > Here is how Enriched Text may become word processor with
> > pleasant result
>
> Most people are from the opposite side of the spectrum, i.e.
> text editor, not word processor.

You have sent references to non-free software, so those I can't use.

There is much better free software in GNU/Linux then those referenced.

Finally there are also those such as What You See Is What You Mean --
like the beautiful LyX. There is TeXmacs too.

LyX | LyX – The Document Processor:
https://www.lyx.org/

Welcome to GNU TeXmacs (FSF GNU project):
https://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/home/welcome.en.html

There is AbiWord and similar others.

But as I have explained, Emacs can be made to print all styles at
least similar, and in colors, how they are on screen, by using
translator program that would translate from Emacs properties to
Pango.

If you know how to provide conclusive reader function, that would
isolate each property, then I guess that would be already something to
start making translation functions to Pango markup.

Printing is already solved with `paps'.

Basically, that is so close, in my opinion.

But one would not be setting up margins, spacing, that all can be done
by using `paps' not Emacs directly.

Font sizes, colors, types, fonts, all that can be translated to Pango.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman