Re: Resources for an old newbie ?

From: Basile Starynkevitch
Subject: Re: Resources for an old newbie ?
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 08:33:59 +0200

On 5/22/23 02:44, Frederick Bartlett wrote:
I’ve been using Emacs for nearly 30 years, but I was never taught it and
did not take computer science classes (unless you count Fortran).

FWIW, my main OS is Fedora Linux, though my company insists that everyone
have Windows, so I also use WSL.

A possibility could be to read the following websites or books

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/pdf/eintr.pdf

Christian Queinnec's book *Lisp In Small Pieces *https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781139172974

(I read the original French version, /Principes d'implantation de Scheme et Lisp/, ISBN 978-2-916466-03-3)

If you need more theory about compilation of Lisp and ML like languages, read Appel's book on /Compiling with Continuations/.

Of course I recommend downloading the latest GNU emacs snapshot source tarball and compiling it. I am doing so every day!

NB: my pet open source project is the RefPerSys inference engine on https://github.com/RefPerSys/RefPerSys/ and http://refpersys.org/

--
Basile Starynkevitch<basile@starynkevitch.net>
(only mine opinions / les opinions sont miennes uniquement)