Re: Resources for an old newbie ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Resources for an old newbie ?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 23:23:45 +0200

Michael Heerdegen wrote:

>> And people are very fluent with those kind of sysadmin
>> Linux and BSD commands these days, it is done in
>> an instant!
>
> For those that a very fluent with these things, ok.

I don't understand, what is this sudden underestimation?
People all over the world are downloading software and
installing it on various Unix platforms, it is part of
computer literacy and happens every day.

> But there are other Emacs users, too.

I don't understand, are they unable to do it?

But by all means, it's optional to those not brave enough to
take that bold step.

>> I'm talking about installing the latest version, not
>> writing endless Elisp if that's what you mean?
>
> Master is broken from time to time.

If so say so, I never had the situation but I suppose it could
happen. But regardless it can hardly be held against supposed
"beginners" compiling Emacs what mistakes Emacs developers may
or may not do ...

> If something breaks, one needs to be able to find out the
> cause (my init file? my os? emacs itself?). People yet
> learning Emacs Lisp can't do that so easily.

Again, it is about Unix (Linux and BSD) commands and system
administration at a basic level, it has nothing to do with
Elisp or any supposedly advanced activities regarding Emacs ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal