Installing GNUstep on i686-pc-linux-gnu (SuSE 7.3)

From: Graham Lee
Subject: Installing GNUstep on i686-pc-linux-gnu (SuSE 7.3)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:18:57 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

I'm trying to get the GNUstep system working on my PC, in order to update my
NeXTStep skills/try things out in readiness for MacOS X/develop Linux software.
 I followed the steps in the GNUstep-HOWTO (including sourcing GNUstep.sh and
setting ~/.profile to do so, configuring the timezone with defaults, and
setting up the daemons), but found that this still did not install the
Foundation/ library.  On trying to build the extensions-0.8.6 source (with gcc
3.0.4 and GNU make 3.79.1) I get:
PrintfScannerHandler.m: In function `-[PrintfScannerHandler convertChar:scanner:
]':
PrintfScannerHandler.m:73: `char' is promoted to `int' when passed through `...'
PrintfScannerHandler.m:73: (so you should pass `int' not `char' to `va_arg')

Also, when trying to build gnustep-back 0.7.8, I find:
GSContext.m: At top level:
GSContext.m:348: parse error before "GSTextDrawingMode"
GSContext.m:363: parse error nefore "NSGlyph"

Any ideas how to continue from here?  I'm new to the whole *step world and
getting GNUstep to work would not only be a great benefit, it would also be
very satisfying :-)

Thanks,

Graham.
--