Re: Installing GNUstep on i686-pc-linux-gnu (SuSE 7.3)

From: Graham Lee
Subject: Re: Installing GNUstep on i686-pc-linux-gnu (SuSE 7.3)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:46:30 +0100 (BST)

[accidentally sent private mail - sorry! accursed webmail interface...blah blah]

In message <3D1A8B22.5090401@doc.com> Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> writes:
> Graham Lee wrote:
<snip problem with extensions-0.8.6>
> extensions is not well maintained, so it's possible it doesn't compile
> correctly (Particularly with the newer compilers).
>
> > Also, when trying to build gnustep-back 0.7.8, I find:
> > GSContext.m: At top level:
> > GSContext.m:348: parse error before "GSTextDrawingMode"
> > GSContext.m:363: parse error nefore "NSGlyph"
> >

> Seems odd. Have you installed gnustep-base-1.3.3 and gnustep-gui-0.7.8?
> I'm confused by your comment that 'this did not install the
> Foundation...' (which is gnustep-base).
I've got base 1.1.0 and gui 0.7.5 - do these not work?  They are certainly
marked as 'stable' releases in gnustep.org.  I also have gdomap and the other
daemons working.
WHen I say 'this did not install the Foundation', what I actually meant was
that running 'gcc -Wno-import -ggdb helloworld.m -o helloworld -lobjc' on code
such as:
***
#import<Foundation/Foundation.h>
#import<stdio.h>

@interface helloObject:NSObject
{
}
- (void)sayHello;
@end

@implementation helloObject

- (void)sayHello
{
    printf("Why a good morrow to you all!\n");
}
@end

int main()
{
    id politeGreeting;
    politeGreeting=[[helloObject alloc] init];
    [politeGreeting sayHello];
    return 0;
}
***
produces the error:
"helloworld.m:1:33: Foundation/Foundation.h: No such file or directory
helloworld.m:6: Cannot find interface declaration for `NSObject', superclass of
`helloObject'"
Now if I'm invoking the compiler incorrectly, please tell me.  If I'm
#importing the file incorrectly, please tell me.  This is what I'd do on a NeXT
system (only the NeXTs I have access to predate the Foundation).  I notice that
Apple have added a -framework option to gcc -- should I be using this?

However even if the above is true, it doesn't explain the compilation errors
with gnustep-back.

Thanks,

Graham.
--