Re: Installing GNUstep on i686-pc-linux-gnu (SuSE 7.3)

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Installing GNUstep on i686-pc-linux-gnu (SuSE 7.3)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:59:33 +0100 (BST)

> > > However even if the above is true, it doesn't explain the compilation
> > > errors with gnustep-back.
> >
> > Yes :-)
> >
> > My suggestion to solve that problem is ... Try newer versions of the
> > libraries !  I suggest to always take the latest available stable version!
> > Many people use CVS directly.
>
> Hmm...not used to doing that [using CVS, that is] but I'll certainly download
> anything with a nice big version number from gnustep.org

:-)

it should be enough (I think Adam suggested you versions which should
work, 1.3.3 and 0.7.8 I think that was).

> - or is the CVS thing the same as just grabbing everything from the
> "daily-snapshot" directory on FTP?  Sorry, bit of a newbie to both
> GNUstep and open source as a whole!

the daily-snapshots should be generated by basically automatically
packaging up the CVS every day.

CVS is nicer than daily snapshots also because you can update to the
latest version much faster ... you don't need to download big .tgz files
every day, you just do a 'cvs -z3 update -dP' and CVS automatically
downloads only the difference from what you already have - it might take
minutes or half a minute even on a slow dialup modem.  Not to say that you
can see changes on the software as they are being made ... in real time
(which is a marvellous thing for some).

Anyway I suggest you can ignore CVS for now and just start with the latest
release you find.