Re: Installing GNUstep on i686-pc-linux-gnu (SuSE 7.3)

From: Graham Lee
Subject: Re: Installing GNUstep on i686-pc-linux-gnu (SuSE 7.3)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:46:57 +0100 (BST)

In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0206271159260.8219-100000@nicola.brainstorm.co.uk>
Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> writes:
<snip>
> > WHen I say 'this did not install the Foundation',
> > what I actually meant was that running 'gcc -Wno-import -ggdb
> > helloworld.m -o helloworld -lobjc' on code such as:
> > ***
> >
> > #import<Foundation/Foundation.h>
> > [...]
> >
> > ***
> > produces the error:
> > "helloworld.m:1:33: Foundation/Foundation.h: No such file or directory
> > helloworld.m:6: Cannot find interface declaration for `NSObject',
> > superclass of `helloObject'"
> > Now if I'm invoking the compiler incorrectly, please tell me.
>
> You have passed no -I compiler options ... so the compiler can't find the
> header files.  You have two options -
>
>  * figure out the compilers -I -L -l flags (and any other flag required
> indeed) by hand.  This is possible, but certainly not recommended at the
> beginning (and indeed if possible I would always avoid it).
>
>  * use gnustep-make to find the flags for you :-) this is the suggested
> option, definitely at the beginning.
>
> To learn how to use gnustep-make, I point you to the first tutorial listed
> on the page
>
> http://www.gnustep.it/nicola/Tutorials/index.html
Fantastic!  Thanks very much, this looks like just what I need!
> > However even if the above is true, it doesn't explain the compilation
> > errors with gnustep-back.
>
> Yes :-)
>
> My suggestion to solve that problem is ... Try newer versions of the
> libraries !  I suggest to always take the latest available stable version!
> Many people use CVS directly.
Hmm...not used to doing that [using CVS, that is] but I'll certainly download
anything with a nice big version number from gnustep.org - or is the CVS thing
the same as just grabbing everything from the "daily-snapshot" directory on
FTP?  Sorry, bit of a newbie to both GNUstep and open source as a whole!
Thanks a million,

Graham.
--
Graham Lee