hydra-users

Re: continuous builds and portability testing with Hydra

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: continuous builds and portability testing with Hydra
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:36:20 GMT

[Excising gpd :)]

    (I'd be interested to know whether a version of Debian that omitted
    all non-free software, and also omitted software that GNU considers
    free, but Debian does not, would be endorsed by GNU.

I don't believe this case has ever come up in practice -- to my
knowledge, the libre distributions we recommend that are based on Debian
restore the Emacs manual et al.  So no definitive answer is possible.

Certainly there is no requirement to include all GNU packages for us to
recommend it.  I can't imagine that any distro on the planet does that,
because there are plenty of obscure/unmaintained/crufty GNU packages.

Given that fact as a starting point, my personal view is that a distro
which otherwise meets the criteria, but fails to include the Emacs
manual, would be listable.