koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Upcoming emails from Nicholas

From: Pat Eyler
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Upcoming emails from Nicholas
Date: Mon Apr 15 06:05:02 2002

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Chris Cormack wrote:

> Hi All
>
> This is just a bit of a heads up.
> Ive asked Nick to help me with coordinating Koha work a bit more. Now we
> have a few ppl actively working on the code, im finding im loosing track of
> who is working on what, etc.
>
> So I think Nick is going to email around, find out what everyones up to, and
> build some kinda status report, and make some suggestions in how to move
> forward.

Great Idea.

> A suggestion he has made already, which I think has merit, is creating a
> development/stable situation.
>
> So we have a stable release cvs tree , and bugfixes and tidy ups get added
> to that. While we work on new features in the development tree. When new
> features become stable and tested enuff, we shift them into the stable tree
> and do a new release.

This sounds good.  I'll have to dig back into the cvsbook to get a feel
for working with multiple branches, but that's a low hurdle for the gain
we should get.

> Also I feel we need to be doing more regular releases, so that bugfixes are
> getting out into the public.
>
> Any other suggestions gratefully accepted.

The biggest things that have bothered me as I've been digging in the code
and refactoring stuff is the lack of comments/documentation and the lack
of tests around things (esp. the modules).  Being more rigourous about
getting into the codebase will help everyone out a lot.

> Oh, an idea ive just had myself, playing with Roger's wiki to work on the
> install, I think this is a good way to work on collaborative documentation.
> Perhaps we could put todo list type things up there, that ppl could
> add/modify to?

I'd be up for it (wikiwiki is good.)

-pate