koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Upcoming emails from Nicholas

From: Pat Eyler
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Upcoming emails from Nicholas
Date: Mon Apr 15 06:14:06 2002

On 15 Apr 2002, Mike Mylonas wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 10:07, Chris Cormack wrote:
>

> > This is just a bit of a heads up.
> > Ive asked Nick to help me with coordinating Koha work a bit more. Now we
> > have a few ppl actively working on the code, im finding im loosing track of
> > who is working on what, etc.
>
> I was looking at this issue over the weekend, and was thinking that
> maybe we should make better / more efficient use of the services
> available through SourceForge. Especially the bug tracker, feature
> request and documentation facilities.
>
> > A suggestion he has made already, which I think has merit, is creating a
> > development/stable situation.
>
> > Also I feel we need to be doing more regular releases, so that bugfixes are
> > getting out into the public.
>
> I agree,
>
> > Any other suggestions gratefully accepted.
>
> One other thing that I think good be useful is that maybe we should look
> at something like a Weekly/Monthly summary (an example being what the
> Midgard team use <http://www.midgard-project.org/news/mws/>.  This would
> allow us to increase the potential audience of the project (wider
> audience == more developers).

If we're going to do this (and it's a good idea, IMHO), we should start a
ChangeLog file to track updates so that we can readily extract them for a
weekly/monthly article.  It would also be nice to get some idea of what
improvements people are going to be coding on the devel tree.

A related idea would be the POW/ZAP thing that abiword does.  The general
idea is that one (or more) POWs (projects of the week) are posted to a
mailinglist/wiki/website/etc, then when people commit code to close out a
POW they get some public kudos in the form of a ZAP.  (hrrm, maybe you
should go look at the abiword project to get a better explanation ...)

In any case, both of these could be sent of to people like lwn.net,
gnu-friends, and OSDN for wider publicity.

-pate