koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Koha's i18n & l10n

From: Francisco M. Marzoa Alonso
Subject: [Koha-devel] Koha's i18n & l10n
Date: Mon Nov 4 00:57:17 2002

Greetins everybody,

My name's Francisco Marzoa and I'm from Spain. I work as software developer
and system administrator in a little company that's mainly focused on RFID
technologies. We're interesting in adding RFID capabilities to koha, but
somework must be done before.

I've superficially seen koha's code a few minutes ago and I've seen that
there's no internazionalization (i18n) and/or localization (l10n) support,
(maybe I'm wrong?). Of course, we're interesting in translate Koha mainly to
spanish, but I think that we can do it better than only getting the sources
and translating strings. Among other things, without (translatable) resource
isolation, if we change some koha's code functionality, we'll have to repeat
that changes in every language, even if that changes doesn't imply strings.

I've seen that in contribute's page TODO there is a "Translate things" entry,
but I think the better could be if we prior to code translation, we do
prepare that code for internazionalization and localization.

I can contribute doing the whole string isolation (prepare code for i18n and
l10n) and, later, with an spanish koha translation.

Please, let me know what do you thing about this and... excuse my english!

Cheers,