koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Multilingual Support in The User interfase

From: Andres Tarallo
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Multilingual Support in The User interfase
Date: Mon Aug 16 11:51:06 2004

Since 'm also working with translations I'm interested also in this subject.

Last week I've took my 2.1.0 Koha instalation and made directories called es, then copied the templates from the en directories. Finally I've started analizing the templates translated to spanish from the people of SIU (Argentina) and copied the suitable ones to the corresponding directories. Right know I've a koha 2.1.0 instalation with spanish support to enhace and improve (and BUGS to hunt). I understand from your mailing that is not the "Koha-way" of adding support to a foreing language, I'm right?

In fact, there is a highly better tool than the one I did for french 2.0 : it's tmpl_process3.pl
This tool works like the tmpl_process.pl tool that was used for french.
But it generates .po file.
A .po file is standard in the free software world. So you can use various tools to do your translation stuff : kbabel is the most known.

I like this !!!!, this way will have a better translation, much more manteinable :).

For 2.2 release, we will drop the tmpl_process.pl script (already done) and use the tmpl_process3 script. and i've installed kartouche, a nice software, on a web interface, that all french can use to do translation. 60% of the OPAC is done & 10% of the intranet.

The people of SIU effort Covers much of of the OPAC, and some part of the Intranet. So, How i do the things in the "Koha way"? Both SIU and our University want to have all our work integrated to the main development tree.

                                                            Andres