koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Multilingual Support in The User interfase

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Multilingual Support in The User interfase
Date: Thu Aug 12 00:22:02 2004

Answer to koha-devel to, unless your mail is really private, that's is not the case here.
Andres Tarallo wrote:

Paul POULAIN wrote:

I've noticed that in the config file I can't specify a "Default Language" for the User Interfase, but I've noticed that there are Language especific directories (ie koha/intranet/htdocs/intranet-tmpl/default/en). Koha will take into account the preferred language for the browser and act acordingly?

iirc no (not a bug, but a feature)

I'm not very fanatic of the "inteligent web applications" that sense the prefered language of the browser and serve pages accordingly. I rather prefer to chose a default languaje and serve pages in that languaje, it prevents us against mis configured web browsers.

Even tough there are translations to various languajes it seems to me that they aren't integrated to the main tree. I want to contribute my work to the main tree, are ther any plans to integrate to the tree the trasnlations?

The plan here is quite simple : if you do a translation, ask for a sourceforge account or send me the file (if it's for 2.2 future release) & i'll add it. (Note translators are added to the "about" page, so they become famous all around the world ;-) )

As I've told you I'm also working withe people of SIU (Argentina) and I'll be working based on their work, so they also deserve credit :). I've been messing with the C4 modules and I still dont understand how the language files are choosen.

Don't spend too many time on this : this will change soon. Really soon (waiting for a commit from chris) The new feature will be : the default language is still stored in systempreferences, but the user, in OPAC, can change it's language (choose it in a list box) The selected language will be stored in a cookie.

--
Paul POULAIN