koha-translate

Re: [Koha-translate] Re: to begin with...

From: dbkliv
Subject: Re: [Koha-translate] Re: to begin with...
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 07:13:57 -0800

address@hidden wrote:
In article <address@hidden>,
nicolas morin <address@hidden> wrote:

dbkliv wrote:

ISO-10646 (Unicode) is probably the strongest bet here.

I'd be happy to hear more about that...

Using ISO-10646 directly is not necessary. This is because
the HTML 4.0 standard defines ISO-10646 as the underlying
character set of all HTML documents, no matter how you encode
the document. (That is the reason why entities (the &...;
sequences) can work at all -- HTML entities are long-hand
aliases to ISO-10646 characters.)

I wasn't aware of this - though it makes perfect sense. Thanks
for the clarification.

I'm curious what the problems are with representing French with
Unicode (of whatever form). The special French characters (&eacute;
etc.) all fall into the first 256 characters of ASCII, and similarly
of Unicode - at that low range, the two are nearly identical, aren't
they?

At any rate, French translation is not my forte; I tend to deal
with different languages. So I'm honestly just passingly curious,
not challenging you here. :)

Your further comments about UCS-2 vs UTF-8 are well worth noting
for translators.