koha-zebra

Re: [Koha-zebra] Perl Zoom Persistent Connections

From: Mike Taylor
Subject: Re: [Koha-zebra] Perl Zoom Persistent Connections
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:01:33 +0100

> Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:31:07 +0200
> From: Thomas D <address@hidden>
>
> Will the forthcoming Perl bindings for Zoom support persistent
> Z39.50 connections?

Of course -- that is the only kind of Z39.50 connection.  Z39.50 is
not stateless like HTTP: all communication is of the form

        open a connection
        while you're still interested {
                send a request
                wait for the response
                do something with it
        }

> If there will be support for persistent connections, will that
> support include a means to close those connections on command;
> without killing the process from the shell, removing power to the
> system or some other drastic measure [...]

Yes, the $zoom->close() method will do this.

> [...] as may be required for some existing Zoom bindings with no
> means to close a persistent connection?

There are none to my knowledge.  The ZOOM Abstract API mandates a
Close method for Connection object -- see:
        http://zoom.z3950.org/api/zoom-1.4.html#3.2.6
and it is implemented (under the name ZOOM_connection_destroy()) but
the ZOOM-C binding -- see:
        http://indexdata.com/yaz/doc/zoom.tkl#zoom.connections
and also by the current Perl implementation, the Net::Z3950 module --
see:
        http://perl.z3950.org/docs/Z3950/Connection.html#close()

I am not quite sure what your question means ...

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <address@hidden>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "No one in charge of Christianity seems to be that convinced
         about the product" -- Tim Rice.