Re: [libreplanet-discuss] DRM is the straw man

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] DRM is the straw man
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 10:45:21 +0100

On 02/20/2016 10:24 AM, Andrés Muñiz Piniella wrote:
> If everybody listened to magnatune, jamendo and similar sites
> more music would be available. and DRM and the laws that
> defend it become irrelevant.

Not if that music is released under nonfree ND/NC licenses, and both
Magnatune and Jamendo distribute such music.

Many genres of music (like hip hop, house and industrial) sample other
music, so ND licenses are wrong for that reason.

Likewise, NC licenses create problems in many areas. For example, isn't
performing a live cover in a paid venue commercial use? What about
playing music in a store with the purpose of making sure customers stay
longer? What about playing it in a small radio that has ads?

I don't see things as black and white as I do with software (as I said,
I still listen to whatever I can get my hands on legally and DRM-free)
but at the same time, I really would like the "free culture" movement to
be more represented and to offer better music, and that can only happen
by contributing to it (either as a listener or as a musician).

> I like them better than listening always to the same music that
> 'the market' considers the 'hits'

That's understandable if you only listen to pop music, however there is
a lot of music which the market does not consider 'hits' (especially
older or underground music, like a lot of punk and metal) and those will
one day be inaccessible as well.